As you make your way to your destination, a cloud of air that can be best described as “fresh” marks the first sign of relaxation. The smell is unique and complex. Depending on your location, the smell can carry whiffs of the local trees and soil or freshly cut grass and flowers. It overpowers you immediately and there is no denying its powerful effect on the chaos in your mind.
The next sign is the scenery. Rolling hills, clusters of trees - just the color green everywhere. Then come the sounds of wildlife, birds, silence.
All of these elements drift into your mind creating a beautiful melody of peace and tranquility. This is the power of nature for self care.
Visiting a local park or zoo is a easy and effective way to reconnect with nature and can do wonders for stress. Nature will play with your senses and tease you. It will encourage the child in you to respond with joy and wonder. By the end of your visit, you will feel refreshed and relaxed beyond your imagination.
So here are 10 tips to enjoy your local nature escape:
- Do an internet search for parks and zoos located at a doable distance, depending on your travel preferences. We cannot emphasize enough the importance of choosing a reasonable, practical distance. This is supposed to be a relaxing trip, not a burden.
- Actually visit.
- Throw out any rules during your visit. No, you don’t have to see the animals at the zoo in order or follow the blogger’s recommendations on the best spots.
- Take your time during the visit. Find a bench or a lush spot in the grass and just breath.
- Bring water.
- Don’t forget to look up from your camera. The best images are live.
- Do take pictures and videos though. They are very useful relaxation tools when you’re back in the daily grind.
- Explore. Follow your curiosity wherever it takes you and only stop if a park ranger/security gets in your way.
- Try to connect with the animals. This can feel a bit strange but it is very relaxing to feed fish, play with butterflies or look a tiger in the eye (at a zoo!).
- Repeat. Whether its another trip to the same location or a new destination, make time for nature. And don’t worry about getting bored. Nature never ceases to surprise. You just have to pay attention.